Friday, November 7, 2014

LESSONS IN OBSCURITY




I recently read a devotion by A.W. Tozer that said: "a true and safe leader is likely to be one who has no desire to lead......the man who is ambitious to lead is disqualified as a leader."  How many of us who are Christians lead with the intent of being noticed and glorified?  Ahh this is where pride takes over and we think we are somehow better than those we are leading.  We run into trouble when we think our mature faith is better or more authentic than someone else. 

I have known leaders who are humble and unwilling to take the credit due only to GOD and they lead with a gentle and quiet spirit.  And I have known leaders who think they are the end all to everyone and everything.  They want to be the center of attention, act like it and relish it.

We must keep in mind that when we are leading for the LORD we are just HIS hands and feet.....reaching out in HIS grace.  GOD knows what HE is doing in all circumstances.....we just need to be available if and when we are asked to lead.  If you have been asked and your first response is "not me!" then you probably are just right as a safe and true leader for that particular position.  I once had a very wise boss who said: "know your place Maxine."  Do you know your place?

I have been a leader and I have been a follower, and I have served much in the schoolroom of obscurity.  Personally I love being in the background, where I can "give" whether it be my time, talent, or money, and have no one know.  It feels good to give of my heart and realize that only GOD sees what I have done.  

GOD does humble us in a big way when HE has us on the sidelines.....when we put others before ourselves, when we serve with obscurity, rather than in the limelight.  I find I learn more in the shadows so that I am prepared for when HE does ask me to lead in HIS light.

So I must ask you: are you in a leadership position due to your own efforts?  Or did you have GOD intervene on your behalf?  Be careful if your only goal is to be noticed and to be the center of attention.  You see, GOD notices us and smiles upon us, when we are content to be on the sidelines working in the obscure limelight of HIS love.  Don't let pride lead you into leading! According to HIS ladder of success, we all are equal in HIS loving eyes......all are welcome.....all are forgiven.....all are redeemed with no one better than another, whether we lead or follow. 

MATTHEW 6: 4: " Then your FATHER, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

No comments:

Post a Comment