Thursday, November 4, 2010

An Introduction...


If you are wondering why the unusual name on this blog exists, let me explain...

A treasured Christian friend of mine recently suggested that I try my hand at blogging. I was intrigued, however, I thought that I was way out of my comfort zone with the idea. Looking at all the other Christian blogs that existed already made me feel very small in a huge online world.  And so I put the idea aside for a while until one night.

Now,  I believe God speaks to us with a "still small voice".  All we have to do is truly listen.  Sometimes what HE tells us to do can be confusing and opposite of what we think we are capable of.  I had gone to sleep that night not any different than any other night, when God suddenly spoke to me with two very clear words: Heaven's Reef. This revelation woke me out of a sound sleep.  I pondered the words in my mind wondering what it meant and realized that those two words together made no sense to me.  I continued to think about them and even wrote them down.  "Was this a name for a blog," I wondered?  I knew that deep in my soul there was no way I would ever think to put those two words together! 

Yes, I have always been and always will be very interested in what Heaven will be like.  I think about it often.  Jesus spoke of a house with many rooms.  This implies a place to go.  In Randy Alcorn's book entitiled "Heaven", he gives us a detailed description using scripture of Heaven and how glorious it will be.

But when it came to the word Reef I was baffled.  I decided to look further and I am in awe of what I found.  The Great Barrier Reef,  off the coast of Queensland on Northeast Austrailia,  is the world's largest single structure made by living organisims.  This reef structure is composed of and actually built by billions of tiny organisims known as coral polyps.  There are over 2,000 known plant species and over 1,500 fish species living in this reef.  Look it up if you have time. I promise you, the beauty in all of it is amazing including the vibrant colors in the coral. Only our Sovereign Lord could have HIS hand in this!

After looking at this reef in detail I realized God was taking me on a journey. So was there scripture relating to the sea?  We all know the story that Jesus commanded His disciples to become "fishers of men" and with the Christian bloggers I can see this parallel here.  Once I really started looking, I was blown away by all the scripture that referred either to the sea, or the deep.  One such example and my favorite is:  Psalm 148:7 "Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all ocean depths" NIV.

Now I can see what God wanted me to see: Heaven is a place beyond what we can imagine, and a Reef is something we can see for all its' beauty and wonder here on earth.  Won't Heaven be that much more glorious? 

Therefore, because of a suggestion from a friend and the clear prompting of God, I commit this blog to HIM.  HE chose the name and I will follow HIS path wherever it leads. HE is taking me on a journey up into the Heavens and down to the depths of the Sea.  I pray dear reader,  that you will hold on with me and let's see where God takes us together.

"Heavenly Father: I pray that the words on these pages will forever be pleasing in Your sight. Amen"

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for starting this. I look forward to reading this. Good Job my friend! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete