Friday, May 24, 2013

GOD'S REDEMPTIVE GARDEN



Now is the time of year that we all begin again cleaning out our yards and gardens.  The other day I spent time outside pulling weeds.  There seemed to be more of them in places I didn't expect.  I know that in pulling them, they will return and I must spray if I really want to get rid of them.

In doing so, it reminded me of something Sarah Young said in a devotion: that GOD wants to walk with us through the "garden of our hearts."  And so I must take stock and wonder, what is the condition of the garden of my heart?  Are there many weeds there? Or is the grass free and clear..... is the soil ready for all of GOD'S love and grace to be sprinkled daily upon my garden?

We can understand with our head all we want to with much learning about GOD and HIS love for us.  But what I understand and read is one thing.....am I putting all of this into practice and living it out loud?

In order to pour out all that I am receiving in, I must feel it all deeply within my heart.  I want the garden of my heart to bloom with love and grace, not only for myself, but for others as well.

When I allow GOD to walk through my garden, HE points out the weeds that need to be addressed, and when these weeds are plucked, they give room for beautiful flowers to grow.  And these flowers are: love, kindness, gentleness, goodness, joy, peace, patience, self-control, and faithfulness.  All of these character traits bloom beautifully in GOD'S garden.  HE is the master gardener and we can learn much from HIM. 

As you work outside this time of year, on one of those beautiful sunny perfect days that is a gift to you from HIM, look closely at the garden of your own heart, and praise HIM.  Thank GOD for walking alongside you in your garden, and ask HIM to help you grow into the beautiful bloom HE has in mind for you.

GENESIS 2: 8 "And the LORD GOD planted a garden in Eden, in the East, and there HE put the man whom HE had formed."

1 comment:

  1. Maxine, I really enjoyed your post about gardening because I have been working out in our yard. You have made me think about the garden of my life and how I can live out loud in love and grace. Thank you for your insightful words and loving example.
    In His Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete