Sunday, January 30, 2011

ABIDING seen in a Dog





We own an 80 pound yellow lab named Charlie.  He has become our second child since my son left home a few years ago and my husband and I have become official dog parents.

Since my son is not around to give attention and love to, my dog Charlie receives much attention from me.  Knowing that the word dog is GOD spelled backwards I have often looked at Charlie with different eyes.  Is GOD really trying to show me something through this creature of His? 

I began to study Charlie and started looking at the world through his eyes.  First of all, his world is quite simple...he eats and goes potty when needed.  He loves his walks with me and when we venture out on a pretty sunny day, he is very excited to get going!  He looks at and smells everything and he forges ahead of me, following obediently on the path I have chosen for us to walk.  He likes to have fun...he lives in the moment with me.  He chases balls, rabbits, and blowing leaves.  And when he is tired from all that walking, he still remains by my side wherever I go my house.  He tends to always lay at my feet, obediently remaining in my presence...waiting for me to move.  This waiting with me I see as abiding...he is fully aware of me, keeping his eyes on me...watchful...waiting...patient.

This watching and waiting is him remaining in my presence.  I start each day in the presence of God with my prayers, petitions, and devotions.  I try hard in my own way to be obedient to God, but somehow always fall short.  I try to follow His path for me, but sometimes find myself taking shortcuts.  When I really need to eat right, I crave all the wrong foods!  And when I lay down to sleep at night, often times all I do is worry.  When I should be content with what I have, I look for more to buy.  Sound familiar?

I know in my head that God is always present by my side and He hears all my thoughts, even before a word is spoken.  But do I abide and remain in Him consistently?  I think not!!  I know I fall short of that every day!  I desire to abide under the pressures of life.  This life as we know it, with all it's messiness.  A life that is hurried and action oriented.  To just be still and wait and remain seems an impossible task!

I know in my heart though, that the only way to know God's heart for me, is to STOP!  To "be still and know that He is God." Psalm 46:10  In my waiting and remaining I trust in God's all knowing.  I trust like Charlie trusts in me that the path chosen is the right one.  In Isaiah 30:21 it says:" "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying,"This is the way, walk in it.""  Charlie trusts me to lead him safely across the street.  How much more should I trust my Father in Heaven to safely lead me on His path chosen for me!  His daily word lights that path and helps me to secure my steps and to walk boldly with Him.

In this abiding I ask Him for clarity...He promises me strength in my waiting to hear His voice.  I see my Charlie actively listening for my next command...this waiting for God, this remaining, this stopping, empowers me in my belief.  This abiding gives me strength...a willingness to wait and remain in Him, My Savior!!

1 John 2: 24 "See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you.  If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father."


No comments:

Post a Comment