Sunday, January 23, 2011

ABIDING FOUND IN A SHIRT


Recently I found one of my son's shirts tucked in the back of my closet upstairs in my office.  My son has been long gone from our home, and my husband and I are in our comfort zone as empty nesters.

I was moved to put on this shirt and wore it throughout the day.  And in so doing, I was keenly aware that my son was "with" me.  Just by this small act, my awareness of him was heightened.  So this got me thinking as I struggle  with my thoughts on abiding, what does God want me to do to truly ABIDE in HIM?

In Ephesians 6:11 it says to: "Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." In abiding with Him, I need to stand firmly in place, as He calls me to walk with Him daily.  I see Him reaching His hand to me and walking with me side by side.

In Ephesians 6:16 it says: "In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one."  In abiding with Him, I need a strong faith, one that can withstand being broken and battered.

In Ephesians 6:17 it says: "Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God."  In abiding in Him, I need to realize Christ alone is my salvation...a salvation undeserved and an act of divine mercy.  This mercy increases my understanding of His word through the Holy Spirit.

At the present time, I don't know how to get through a day without HIS WORD.  I see myself resting in it.  The dictionary's definition of abide is to submit to and carry out.  I see myself submitting to HIS WORD.  I do trust in it.  But most of the time it is difficult to carry out those words when today's distractions pull me towards the world.  Sometimes I succeed, but many times I fail at all of this.

And so my quest continues...I need, rather ache... to ABIDE in Him so that I may ABIDE in His wonderful grace and mercy.  This I know...and this I continue to seek.  I ask my Lord to help me see and understand this concept of ABIDING.

Therefore in all this seeking, I continue to also wait...and I try harder to include HIM in all my moments.  Moments that He has given me in the first place because of His grace!  I am starting to see that these moments are quite special when spent with HIM.  It gives my life meaning and depth.  Somehow I am driven to ABIDE more!!  This I understand as His special touch on my life.  It is a journey that only He knows the outcome of.   So for today I continue to abide...wait...and to trust in this comfortable rest.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how sometimes God uses the most simple prop to teach us a lesson. We are always looking for the "burning bush" but He may just come to use by way of a forgotten shirt!

    Have a "peace-filled" week "abiding" in Him.... Donna

    ReplyDelete