Saturday, December 4, 2010

Can you distinguish God's still small voice in the noisy world around you?


Christ says many times in the Bible that His people know His voice.  I used to wonder what that meant, however, in the past several years I feel I can see and hear Him fairly clearly.  Believers are given the Holy Spirit and He helps us to hear.  We just have to be willing to look and willing to listen.

I realized a couple of years ago that all of my busyness was literally drowning out the voice of God.  You see all of that busyness was about me, not Him.  It was only when I started to take time to spend with Him, each and every day, that I discovered I could hear and see Him better in my life.  How easy it is to get caught up in this world!

When my husband was out of work and every penny was needed, I ventured outside on the back patio one morning with my Bible and my devotion books.  I discovered a whole new world that I had been ignoring with my busy life!

It was summer and as I sat there I felt God's warmth on me, the wonderful sun.  I also saw the beauty of my coral rose bushes and yellow lillies.  Some people  feel closer to God through nature and I think I am one of those people.  I listened and heard the birds singing their joyous song and felt the warm breeze on my skin.  And I started to feel very relaxed and loved by the words on the page of my Bible.  God's words. Was I on to something?

And so I began my daily time outside and soon it became a habit.  Each day it became more and more clear that God was speaking directly to me.  I just needed to stop and listen.  In Psalm 46:10 it says: "Be still , and know that I am God."  God commands us to be still!

I continued my habit of sitting still with God over the course of the summer into beautiful fall.  I watched God's world change in color and temperature.  And then came winter - now what was I going to do?  I loved my sanctuary outside!!

At the time,  our house had a 2 sided fireplace and in the living room I had a small couch and easy chair with a big square coffee table.  I decided to put all my books and Bible in a big basket beside the couch and I had candles to light all along the fireplace mantel.  I would bring God's light inside with me!  Each early morning I sat in my small cozy living room enveloped once again by God and His word.  And so my habit of being "still" continued.

My husband became employed and we have since moved, but my habit of sitting on my patio through spring, summer, and fall continues.  And when snow falls, I'm up in my cozy office with many candles burning,  sitting all covered up by the window watching the snowflakes gently fall.

There is a lot to be said for sitting still.  God's word drowns out my own and soon I'm really listening to Him.  He is my refuge.  And in return His grace humbles me and fills me up.  Praise and Worship of Him becomes something I crave every day - even on good days and bad days.  I have become very protective of my time with Him.  I turn off phones, and music, and TV and laptop.  I just love the absolute quiet.  Quiet and being still.  And in that quiet I can hear God telling me:  "I love you my child."

"He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves: "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.  Mark 4:39 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment